Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review Day: Vook Books

I spent about half a day trying to figure out what a Vook really is.  I was always given the "it doesn't work as well on Kindles...sorry" or "the media only comes with some of the books".... then what in the world is the point of calling it a Vook!? I became a little *obsessed* with trying to figure them out.

The reviews on Amazon didn't give me any information. Strike one.  POI told me most of the media is only visible on the PC. Strike two.  I looked around online for more information (hello Google!) and found very little information.  Strike three.  Needless to say, I was getting annoyed.  Why give ebooks another fancy name if they are not any different?

Here's what I learned: Vooks are *interactive* ebooks designed to *enhance* the story for readers.  POI wrote, "A vook is a new innovation in reading that blends a well-written book, high-quality video and the power of the Internet into a single, complete story. You can read your book, watch videos that enhance the story and connect with authors and your friends through social media all on one screen, without switching between platforms."

It reminds me of all the silly commercials for toys.  You know what I'm talking about.  The ones where some announcer guy is talking super fast about all the crazy stuff you can do with one toy, how awesome said toy is, how everyone is going to have that toy and how it's perfect and awesome and super fun? Family Guy even did a little spoof on it.  Go watch it.  I love that little commercial.  Now think back to how many times you fell for that as a child or even as an adult.  hah.. That little paragraph above made me not only want a Vook, but need a Vook.  Especially because they were free!

So I picked up four Vook books (all free) thinking this was going to be the greatest thing ever!  I start reading A Princess from Mars.  I'm reading and reading and reading... get to chapter 6.  All I've seen were a couple pictures that were just okay.  So I'm thinking, where's all the stuff I was promised? Only to find out... pictures are the only media that work on the Kindle version.  Okay.. So I decided to read them on my PC app for Kindle.  I finished A Princess from Mars.  Still no social media or video.  Hm... what's wrong with this Vook? I open a second Vook The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. No social media. No videos. Only a few measly pictures that only kind of fit with the story.

I did some more searching... and found out that Vook considers the table of contents (you can click on each chapter to jump to it) the *interaction*.  (annoyed face) Seriously!? Are you kidding me!? All that hype for click-able chapters? Something the Kindle could already do for every ebook?  (sigh)  And what about the videos and social media *all on one page* stuff?

I still can't figure out where these mystical videos are or how to access the social media linked with each Vook.  If you know... PLEASE tell me.  Nobody seems to know! This is torture I tell you! Torture! They dangled something amazing in my face, I fell for the bait and took it... and nothing happened! I now feel like a child falling for the crazy commercials.  BUT I got some really great classic books for free. again. Thanks Vook!!

I'm sorry Amazon.  I tried to like them!

If you got through this whole post without having to stop, scream or get back on your chair from laughing too hard...I applaud you.  You deserve a prize.  What's that? You actually want a free prize? Okay! Click here.  (mischevious smile)

No comments: