Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review Day: The Hunger Games trilogy (updated)

This is a review of the trilogy, The Hunger Games.  If you haven't heard yet, there is a movie coming to theaters March 23, 2012! Yay!! It's being called the *next* Twilight saga. (cough LIES cough) But let me tell you, if it is anything at all like the books, it will be better.

I just hope I can go see the movie without people thinking I'm there for the *hunky* male actors (seriously.. they're not that cute...pix here just with different hair colors for the actual movie). Besides.. when I see Josh Hutcherson all I can think of is the boy from Bridge to Terrabithia (the movie).  See? See!?  Same boy.  Now how many people are mad at me for ruining him?

Descriptions provided by The Hunger Games Trilogy Fansite and Suzanne Collins  If I write my own... there will be too many spoilers.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (book one)
5 stars
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlaying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one girl and one boy between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has also resolved to outwit the creators of the games. To do that she will have to be the last person standing at the end of the deadly ordeal, and that will take every ounce of strength and cunning she has.  

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (book two)
4 1/2 stars
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.  

MockingJay by Suzanne Collins (book three)
4 1/2 stars
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12.

 All three of these novels are phenomenal.  I couldn't put them down! It took me a week to get through three novels.  I borrowed them from a friend on Kindle, and couldn't wait for the "Your Kindle eBook Has Arrived!" email every time!  The characters, plot, scenarios pull you in so deep and keep you there.  You're longing for more at the end of each one, just as a fish needs water you need these books.  They make your imagination run wild in ways most adults/YA minds haven't done for years!  I can't recommend these books enough.  Once you get past the initial shock of the situation, and realize what is really happening (pretty quickly might I add) then these books become irresistible.

If you want to be an obsessive fan like me... then go visit the site here.  The fan site does giveaways periodically so I highly recommend joining it (it's completely free).  They also have more details and behind-the-scene information about the upcoming movie! Want to be part of the Hunger Games? Go here! They assign you a district and everything! Let me know what District you get! I'm in District 7! Happy Hunger Games Review Day!!

2 comments:

Sam (Realm of Fiction) said...

Don't worry, I am an obsessive fan too! I can't wait for the movie to be released. :D I just hope they have done the book justice.

HilyBee said...

Me too! I have high expectations.