Monday, February 6, 2012

Review Day: Your Heart Belongs to Me

It's review day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook...then you may have read that I recently finished Dean Koontz's Your Heart Belongs to Me.  I read this in print form, the first paperback novel I have read since I have owned my Kindle.  Well... after I gave it a more than unfavorable rating, many many people asked for a full review. So.. here it is!


Author: Dean Koontz
Title: Your Heart Belongs To Me
My Rating: 2 stars out of 5
Would I recommend this book? No

Amazon Book Description:
At thirty-four, Internet entrepreneur Ryan Perry seemed to have the world in his pocket -- until the first troubling symptoms appeared out of nowhere. Within days, he’s diagnosed with incurable cardiomyopathy and finds himself on the waiting list for a heart transplant; it’s his only hope, and it’s dwindling fast. Ryan is about to lose it all…his health, his girlfriend Samantha, and his life.

One year later, Ryan has never felt better. Business is good and he hopes to renew his relationship with Samantha. Then the unmarked gifts begin to appear—a box of Valentine candy hearts, a heart pendant. Most disturbing of all, a graphic heart surgery video and the chilling message: Your heart belongs to me.

In a heartbeat, the medical miracle that gave Ryan a second chance at life is about to become a curse worse than death. For Ryan is being stalked by a mysterious woman who feels entitled to everything he has. She’s the spitting image of the twenty-six-year-old donor of the heart beating steadily in Ryan’s own chest.

And she’s come to take it back.
(end description)

Sounds like a typical "DK" book right? A little mystery, a little "end of the world", a little romance, a little "that guy is poisoning that guy even though they are really good friends", a little bit of this, a little bit of that..

As an avid DK reader, I must say this novel really really disappointed me.  The plot was boring, dragged on and on and on and on and on and on...there were so many different possible story lines happening (which is usually a good thing from DK) that it just confused the reader.  He had so many choices for where the book could go, but I think he chose the wrong one.  I wanted to see more of the weirdo guy.  The it-can't-get-any-worse-than-this (but it always does) super creepy, bad guy character DK usually throws in there. But he didn't even make an appearance!! (sigh)

The ending... don't even get me started.  I re-read the ending searching for answers.  I don't think I have ever had to do that before with DK books.  It left me asking questions, begging to know what happened to plot line A and B, but the novel clearly didn't think they were important anymore.  They just vanished, *poof* GONE.  Like the pigeon in a magic trick.  The last chapter felt like it came out of left field.  I looked at the binding of my book to see if I was missing chapters!  (Sadly... I wasn't...)

What did I like from this book? The possibilities is held for something amazing. The fact that is was written by DK and I hadn't read it yet. That's it.

Happy Review Day!!

No comments: